Portable Air Conditioner for Convenient Air Conditioning...
But that is not everything about portable air conditioning unit. There is a lot more to this superb alternative to fixed air conditioning units.
What we are going to go through on this page is about home and building portable air conditioners.
Overview of home portable air conditioner:
Air conditioning unit of this type, operates under the same principle of other mechanical cycle air conditioners. Through gas compression, and liquid expansion.
However, there are variations involved to make this unit an attractive thing to put up for sale. We’ll go into those features soon.
These units are manufactured from sizes of,
- 7,000 BTU/hr (0.58 ton or 2 kWh or 1.5 hp), to
- 24,000 BTU/hr (2 ton or 7 kWh or 5.25 hp)
With efficiency ratings from,
The smaller sizes are used for personal spaces while the lager ones are used in offices or temporary installations.
There are, however portable air conditioner of 25 ton (88 kWh or 65 hp) in cooling or heating capacity, but these are used on occasional basis. For example, in large temporary tents.
By the way, buying these units will worth it, if you’re into portable air conditioner rental business.
We will not discuss further into these large units in this page, as it is more towards outdoor setup, and the design is more robust. Similar to window, split, or central air conditioners.
I have to keep my promise on explaining about features included in portable air conditioning units. Here it comes.
- Almost all portable air conditioning unit for indoor use, will have an auto shut off, when the condensate pan is almost full.
This is a clever feature integrated into the system, so that condensed water will not overflow from the pan. You know, we can be forgetful most of the time, especially when our favourite TV show is on.
It will tell us the time. Time to empty out the pan!
- There will also be a drain line from the unit, so that you can attach a suitable hose, straight into the nearest drain
- Most portable air conditioner manufacturer even design the condensate to be directed towards the condenser. Now here comes the interesting part.
As such, water will be evaporated by the warm condenser through the hot air exhaust hose.
Less maintenance on the condensate pan and more cooling for the condenser, and hence increasing the efficiency.
Talk about squeezing the design for higher efficiency. These units have it.
The famous names trademarked on the manufacturers for this feature are, Evaporative Boosters, No Drip, and Self-Evaporating
- A hot air exhaust, is a MUST feature in these air conditioners, since these units will be placed inside your living space.
”How Air Conditioners Work” have explained that condensers will be hot, as a result of compressed refrigerant gas.
Therefore, it is only wise to exhaust the hot air out of your room through the hose
- A 5 feet (1.5 metres) of hose will be provided with portable air conditioner purchase. This will be complemented by,
A venting kit (foam),
A pipe connector, and
A hose adaptor
- There are times when you will not need an exhaust hose. When you’re storing the unit, and when it is in dehumidifier mode.
Difficult to believe, but most air conditioners nowadays come with this feature, in package.
Portable air conditioner in dehumidifier mode will pass fresh air through the evaporator, for cooling and dehumidifying, AND a final pass through the condenser for raising the dry bulb temperature.
As a result you’ll have dry air. Oh yes, don’t forget to take out the hose
- Some portable air conditioning unit comes together with electric heaters, to be used during cooler seasons
- Castors are common for these units, to earn the “Portable” title
- A control panel is available
- As well as a remote control to spoil yourself,
- And LCDI, Leakage Current Detection & Interrupt, placed right after the connection socket, for added safety.
This feature acts as a circuit breaker whenever a current leak is detected, protecting the unit, and yourself
Portable air conditioner is best used if,
- You need air conditioning for a small space,
- You need cooling or heating for temporary periods, e.g. for painting works in an unfinished building,
- You need air conditioning in a rented space, where wall hacking, or window modification is not allowed,
- You need spot cooling for your computer, or even yourself
Installation and setup:
Provided are some information on installing a portable air conditioner,
- Place the system in the designated space to be conditioned, near a window, or exhaust area,
- Place it on a level floor,
- Give 1 to 2 feet of space from the walls, and lock the castors,
- Install the window kit, at the sides of your window. Get extra foam to fill the space if needed.
Use the pipe connector and adaptor to fit the exhaust hose to the unit, and to window kit
- Plug in the power socket of the portable air conditioner to nearest power outlet.
Use an approved extension socket if required
And we’re done!
Service and maintenance:
Service and maintenance for portable air conditioners are similar to list provided in this page, EXCEPT that you have to empty out the condensate pan periodically.
As usual, the pros and cons of portable air conditioner:
|Cost||Lower maintenance and operating cost||More expensive than a window unit of same size and similar efficiency|
|Air quality||Good, if the filter is maintained||Portable air conditioners re circulate air within the room. So, it is advisable to have provision for some fresh air to get into the room|
|Mobility||Can be moved from room to room, when required||Have to do minor installation before moving this unit|
|Conditioning ability||Larger units may condition a space up to 2,000 square feet of floor area||None|
|Noise||None||As noisy as window air conditioners, due to integrated design|
|Stylish look||Matches split air conditioners in good looks||None|
|Strength||Air conditioners are meant to condition air||Shares the same view as Mr. Pros|
Is it a choice for you?
If you’re up for spot, temporary, can’t-hack-the-wall cooling or heating, then portable air conditioner will give you the best comfort per money spent.
Top of Portable Air Conditioner page